Sunday, February 6, 2011

Creating Brush Sets



The goal of this assignment was to create and use two brushes in both Illustrator and Photoshop. For the top left example (Illustrator), I used an existing paintbrush style, made an interlocking "wavy" pattern with it, and used that for my art brush. The border is a series of painted straight lines joined together, and the flower pattern is a series of curved lines. For the brush on the right, I drew a lightning bolt shape and made that into a scatter brush. The art brush was definitely easier to use; the flower pattern came about by accident, while I was experimenting with shapes and I really liked the distortion. What I found frustrating with the scatter brush was the adjustments; I can see you have to do a lot of fine-tuning to get the look you want!
For the Photoshop brushes, I used an image of moss growing on a wall, selected an area of the moss that I liked and defined that as my brush. Again, a lot of tweaking the various settings for scatter and color, but I think it turned out pretty well. I didn't have a lot of inspiration for my 2nd brush, so I used an interesting font, and just made a cartoon "swear". (That's kind of how I was feeling at that point!) I don't like it as well as the organic shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment